Elected to the House of Representatives for Hughes, New South Wales, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2007.
Minister for Veterans’ Affairs from 26.11.01 to 26.10.04; Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence from 26.11.01 to 7.10.03.
Member, Speaker’s Panel from 18.2.08.
- House of Representatives Standing: Family and Community Affairs from 29.5.96 to 27.11.97;
- Communications, Transport and Microeconomic Reform from 9.10.96 to 17.10.96;
- Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 29.9.97 to 8.10.01;
- Environment and Heritage from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01;
- Library from 29.3.01 to 8.10.01; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07;
- Science and Innovation from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07.
- Joint Standing: Migration from 11.3.08.
Conferences, delegations and visits
- Bilateral visits to Greece, Cyprus and Turkey, July 1999; Jordan, April 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to East Timor, November 1999; New Zealand, August 2006.
- Official visits to Singapore and Malaysia, February 2002; Papua New Guinea, October-November 2002; East Timor, November 2002; Belgium, France and UK, April-May 2003; Korea and Vietnam, July-August 2003; UK and France, November 2003.
- Delegate – Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference to Fiji, September 2005
- Delegate – International Parliamentary Union Conference, South Africa, 2008
Liberal Party positions
- Member, Liberal Party from 1993.
- President, Liberal Party Gymea Branch 1994-95.
- Delegate, Cook and Miranda Federal Electoral Councils 1994-95.
- Delegate, Liberal Party State Council (NSW) 1994-95.